- Open volume atrium, from the ground floor to the glazing canopy, with the pedestrian entrances turnstile doors.
- Climatic environment in the atrium with landscape fit-out, public and private terraces, and connection of the bridges between wings.
- Acoustic baffles and material to create a pleasant and enjoyable environment
for an iconic building
Discover the video
ICÔNE is the tangible demonstration of BESIX RED’s contribution to the city - as an urban developer- , as well as to the society - with a client-minded approach. While offering a more human dimension to workspaces, BESIX RED also participates in the renewal of tomorrow’s city.
ICÔNE responds to the revitalization of Belval, enhancing the site and its surroundings. The design and concept of ICÔNE emerge from FOSTER + PARTNERS’ knowledge and aesthetic approach of the new way of working.
In its ambition to integrate new trends and clients’ needs into a long-term sustainable building, BESIX RED has appointed the prestigious British architect FOSTER + PARTNERS. This collaboration results in the development of a transparent architecture offering - alongside more traditional offices - co-working spaces and collaborative offices, flexible enough to accommodate the changing nature of workplaces. Space optimization, flexibility, luminosity, technology; each aspect has been designed to improve it’s users’ wellbeing. As an integral part of the larger masterplan for the area, the scheme blends in with its neighbouring buildings and addresses the different characteristics of the principal axis of Porte de France on its westside and the Place de l’Académie in the East, while creating a green light-filled atrium that forms the social and environmental heart of the building.Discover more
“The challenge for us was to create a building that was open and flexible – responding to the contemporary patterns of work in today’s organisations – while also respecting the site’s industrial heritage. Focussing on aspects that create attractive places for people to work, it offers new office spaces that promote collaboration and wellbeing.”
BESIX RED Luxembourg
“ICÔNE is the result of a deep reflection on the workplace and defines the new working experience dedicated to the people and their well-being. By focusing on the end-users, we were able to create qualitative office spaces where community and connexion are key. The latest working and co-working trends combined with traditional offices, co- existing in an open and transparent iconic architecture, will encourage interaction, creativity, performance and innovation.”
from 200 SQM up to 3,000 SQM office space/floor
around 3,000 SQM co-working spaces
1,400 SQM restaurant and retail spaces
4 retail spaces on group level
5 min walk from train station
237 car park spaces including 8 charging car points
Breeam excellent and CPE class B-C
760 SQM interior and external terraces
4 upper floors on 2 wings connected by an atrium
Interior bicycle bays and bicycle sharing station next to the building (200m)
discover all our
Far from a common workplace, the next generation office building integrates the latest innovations and technologies in terms of construction and working environment (BREEAM EXCELLENT), enabling the building to evolve over time.
- 6 passengers lifts (1,000 kg) rated at 1.6 m/sec serve the building, from basement to upper floors
- 2 goods lifts (1,150 kg) rated at 1.0 m/sec serve from basement -1 to upper floors
- Green roof partially covers the building’s roof, ensuring rainwater absorption
- 237 office car park spaces with smooth concrete screed
- Provided with 8 electric car chargers
- Cycle bays in dedicated bicycle storage area
- High standard changing room facilities with 8 showers (4 female, 4 male)
- Chilled water and hot water are conducted to radiant ceiling for cooling and heating
- The building is connected to the district’s heating system
- 600 x 600 mm raised access floor system for offices (150 mm floor depth)
- Polished precast concrete treads for stairs from basement to upper ground
- Epoxy finishing floor on staircases
- BMS has capacity to cater for expansion of its base system to serve fit-out areas as required by tenants
- Possible evolution towards smart building
- Wi-Fi terminals in the atrium
- Ventilation control by means of CO sensors
- Intelligent elevator control and possible command activation by mobile phone. Destination control system which takes into account desired destination floors and the number of waiting passengers to significantly improve efficiency and convenience in comparison with conventional elevator control systems
- Possibility of access control with facial recognition
- Possibility of parking access control with license plate recognition
- Possibility of meeting room booking by mobile application
- Possibility of management of interior blinds by mobile application
- Possibility of lighting management by mobile application
- Possibility of temperature management by mobile application
- Occupants geolocalisation on the different floor levels and in the atrium
- Mechanical systems are developed on the basis of a “shell and core” scheme at a 1 person per 10 sqm net occupancy with facilities provided for energy sub-metering
- Predisposition for implementation of meeting room in each building wing, or on whole ground floor
- Sanitary extractions are fixed to 50 m3 / h / wc for two urinals
- High-efficiency LED lighting in tenant areas designed to deliver output 500 lux
- All fittings are DALI type and controlled via the lighting control system with a dedicated server in basement Comms Room
- Lighting control system provides presence/absence detection
- Intruder alarm system monitors the building perimeter
- Predisposition card access control system to building entrance and lifts
- Main board and metering designed to facilitate up to 8 tenants per office floor (4 by wings), with flexibility for single or multi-tenant configurations
- Back-up diesel generator for life safety systems throughout the building in event of power supply outage
a new way of working
Flex office is an opportunity to rethink the traditional models in favour of open, efficient, dynamic and collaborative structures.
The principle is simple: self-service workstations in shared, flexible and connected office spaces. Forget about assigned desks. Choose instead to work in different spaces according to your needs or the time of day – individual workstations, open-access meeting rooms or privacy bubbles. You can even share your daytime desks with co-workers. Enhance the agility of your offices by using workspaces that are modular, multifunctional and flexible.
Your office easily adapts to different formats – as an individual or collaborative workspace, a site for creativity by socialising with other entrepreneurs across all sectors and stages, a platform to welcome stakeholders (clients, partners, etc.) or a hub to host meetings and events.
Flex office spaces enable you to act quickly. Utilities and equipment including your desk and personal phone are provided. Move in the day you sign and start working immediately.
Serenity and well-being
Created by the international and iconic architects Foster + Partners, ICÔNE is a smart building of 18,800 sqm BACS spread over five levels with a splendid view of the Hauts Fourneaux, an industrial vestige of Belval.
ICÔNE with its two entrances, Porte de France and Place de l’Académie, stands out for the high flexibility of surfaces and usage. The glass atrium forms the social and environmental heart of the building. Enclosed by two wings and surrounded by a series of indoor and outdoor terraces, it gives access to new office spaces that encourage collaboration. Most of the ground floor is dedicated to meeting points and co-working areas.
Beyond traditional office spaces, the conception of the building allows a wide range of surfaces (from 200 sqm up to 3,000 sqm per floor), suitable for one or several start-ups as well as for the headquarter of one single tenant.
Shared terraces for informal meetings and break-out spaces are also foreseen on the upper floors. The three basements includes 237 parking spaces, bike bays and electric vehicles charging points.
The keywords of the working spaces are flexibility and modularity. The offices are adaptable to the companies own ways of working, whatever they are, and to their needs in terms of ergonomics, comfort and efficiency. Every company is free to choose its own format - co-working area or traditional working area – and can easily change from one format to another.
ICÔNE is a new concept of building where everything is done to inspire serenity and well-being at work.
Benefit from a
Luxembourg is one of the most dynamic countries in the European Union.
Located at the heart of Europe and not so far from the biggest cities of the continent, the Grand Duchy is part of the Greater Region, the largest crossborder labour market with 11,6 million habitants coming from 3 EU Member States. Renowned as the second largest fund centre in the world after the United States, the country also has the ambition to position itself as Europe’s next hub for technological innovation.
Belval is the perfect symbol of this entire new neighbourhood erected by the government. In only a few years, the former industrial area has undergone an exemplary conversion into an international pole of knowledge, research and a city quarter of superior quality providing housing up to 7,000 people of all generations. At the same time, up to 20,000 people can work, research and study in Belval.
Close to a pole of
KnOwledge and research
- University Buildings
Luxembourg Capital / ADEM - Agence pour le développement de l’emploi / Administration des Chemins de Fer / ITM (Siège régional Esch-sur-Alzette) / STM - Service de Santé au Travail Multisectoriel
Administration de l’Environnement / Administration de la Gestion de l’Eau / Commission nationale pour la protection des données
CIPA - Résidence «Op der Waassertrap»
Le Fonds Belval
Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research (LISER)
Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST)
RBC / Deloitte / Pictet
Université de Luxembourg
Hôtel IBIS / Delhaize
ICÔNE is among the first few buildings in Luxembourg to comply with the stringent standards of the BREEAM International New Construction 2016 certification.
This project is designed to connect to the smart city of the future. Another plus, ICÔNE incorporates contemporary challenges. Special attention has been given to issues specific to the well-being of its users, such as safety, overall improved comfort and greater flexibility. Energy efficiency is of course a key feature of this building. The environmental impact both in terms of issues specific to the site or its future life, were meticulously studied and processed.
Besix Red and Foster + Partners
Foster + Partners is a global studio for architecture, urbanism and design, rooted in sustainability, which was founded over fifty years ago in 1967 by Norman Foster.
Since then, he and the team around him have established an international practice with a worldwide reputation for thoughtful and pioneering design, working as a single studio that is both ethnically and culturally diverse.
Design is at the core of everything that we do. We design buildings, spaces and cities; we listen, we question, and we innovate.
BESIX RED is the subsidiary of BESIX Group (international construction company) in charge of real estate development.
Being strongly present in Belgium as well as in Luxembourg and in a growing number of foreign cities, the company has been offering its expertise and vision for over 30 years in the different lines of buisiness it covers: Offices, Residential and Mixed-use & Retail (incl. hotels and services).
For end users, BESIX RED develops projects adapted to their specific needs. For investors, BESIX RED designs buildings with a high return in line with the local target market. Highly flexible in terms of space usage, these building present advanced technology, excellent locations and the latest technology trends.